VIMS Council Meeting Minutes (approved)
Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
June, Sandra, Brock, Rhonda
Absent with Regrets:
- Review and Approve Council Meeting Agenda:
Motion from Rhonda to approve the agenda. Carried.
- Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting (April 18th, 2019):
The draft minutes from the April council meeting were modified (Agenda Item 5, second point). Motion from June to approve the amended minutes. Carried.
- Business arising from the Minutes and Updates:
- Tuere Sala retreat update (April 27/28): There were 57participants on Saturday (27th) and 52 participants on Sunday (28th). Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinator: Brock Brown; Co-managers: Brock Brown and Metta VanderVliet; Registrar: Sheila Whincup; Sound: Bruce MacRae.
- Adrianne Ross retreat update (May 25/26): There were 60 participants on Saturday (25th) and 40 on Sunday (26th). Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinator: Joyce Elliott; Co-managers: Isy House and Joyce Elliott; Registrar: Rod House; Sound: Rod House.
- Ajahn Pasanno retreat update (June 29/30): There were 73 participants on Saturday (29th) and 60 on Sunday (30th). Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinators: June Fukushima and Brock Brown; Co-managers: June Fukushima and Brock Brown; Registrar; Brian Chapel; Sound: Michael Swanton (Vancouver).
Ajahn Pasanno is open to an invitation to return to Victoria in the future.
- June presented the January – May 2019 Financial Report prepared by Wei (reports were distributed to council members prior to the meeting).
- Account Balances since the April 18th, 2019 council meeting:
Account Balances as of May 1st, 2019:
Account Balances as of June 1st, 2019:
Account Balances as of July 1st, 2019:
June motioned to receive the Financial Report. Carried.
- Sunday Night Community Sit:
- The Sunday Night Community Sit continues to operate, as of July using the amended format. Those who attend express appreciation for the opportunity Victoria IMS provides them to meditate in a group setting.
- Victoria IMS continues to experience some frustrations with the use of our retreat registration software.
- Posting of the Sunday Night Community Sit facilitation schedule on the website: Sandra will be doing this task now once she receives the information from Kevin. Facilitation information for the newsletter can be obtained from the website.
- David Axon is willing to continue monitoring the Victoria IMS email account. He has made some response timing/frequency adjustments which has eased the process considerably.
- Sound Technician support: We will be losing one of our sound technicians as a result of a relocation away from Victoria and will be looking for new volunteers for this role.
- 2019 Annual General Meeting (AGM):
- The AGM was held on June 13th with all members in attendance. The minutes from this meeting have been circulated to everyone.
- Brock has submitted the annual report to the BC Societies Registrar (societies are required to complete a report every year, after their AGM) and the associated fee has been paid.
- Teachers have been advised of the changes to the Sunday Night Community Sit program.
- A unanimous decision was made at the AGM, to remove the ride share co-ordination from retreat registration. The questions related to this have now been deleted from the registration form.
- Volunteers for retreats: Isy House and Joyce Elliott, with support from June Fukushima, are giving consideration to various people for operations roles for the 2020 retreat schedule.
- 2019 Programs:
- Upcoming retreats/events:
- August 17/18 – Ajaan Geoff.
- September 14 – Brock Brown.
- October 12/13 – Vance Pryor.
- November 9/10 – Howard Cohn.
- Completed retreats/events:
- January 19/20 – Heather Martin.
- February 23/24 – Margo McLoughlin.
- April 27/28 – Tuere Sala.
- May 25/26 – Adrianne Ross.
- June 29/30 – Ajahn Pasanno.
- 2020 Programs:
The teachers and dates listed below are confirmed for the Victoria IMS 2020 retreat schedule. All retreats will take place at Goward House.
- January 18/19 – Heather Martin.
- February 22/23 – Margo McLoughlin.
- April 11/12 – Pascal Auclair.
- May 23/24 – Ajaan Geoff.
- September 19 – Brock Brown.
- October 17/18 – Christina Feldman.
- November 14/15 – Carol Wilson.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:40 p.m.
Next Council Meeting
September 19th, 2019 7:00-9:00p.m.
June and Brock’s home.