Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.
Brock, June, Sandra, Brian, Rhonda
Absent with Regrets:
- Review and Approve Council Meeting Agenda:
Motion from Brian to approve the agenda. Carried.
- Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting (September 14th, 2017):
There were no changes to the distributed draft minutes from the September council meeting. Motion from Sandra to approve the minutes. Carried.
- Business arising from the Minutes and Updates:
- Adrianne Ross retreat update (September 16/17): There were 74 participants on Saturday (16th) and 63 participants on Sunday (17th). Participants were engaged and appreciative and good feedback was received after the retreat. Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinator: Joyce Elliott; Co-managers: Joyce Elliott and Kathy Jago; Registrar: Lawrie Thicke; Sound: Bruce McRae and Juli Macdonnell; Hospitality: Joyce Elliott.
- Steve Armstrong retreat update (October 14/15): There were 89 participants on Saturday (14th) and 80 on Sunday (15th). The teachings were very well received and good feedback was received after the retreat. Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinator: Lawrie Thicke; Registrar: Rod House; Co-Managers: Isy House and Sheena Wilson; Sound: Rod House; Hospitality: Lawrie Thicke.
- Brock Brown retreat update (November 11): There were 46 participants for this one day retreat. The teaching of Joy permeated the day and feedback received after the retreat expressed appreciation for the benefits experienced. Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Co-ordinator: June Fukushima; Registrar; Pascal Courty; Co-managers: Sandra Joy and Margo McLoughlin; Sound: Juli Macdonnell and Bruce McRae.
- Victoria IMS thanks all volunteers who gave of their time to support our retreats during 2017. In addition to those mentioned above who took on formal roles, there were many volunteers who undertook small tasks, came early at the start of the retreat to help with set up and stayed late at the end to help with clean up. Your contributions are greatly appreciated.
- Victoria IMS total number of retreat participants for 2017 was 354.
- Victoria IMS social: the gathering in October was smaller than in previous years and in discussion Council suggests that in 2018 we opt for a more informal venue such as a home garden.
- June reported on the September-October financials (the report was distributed to council members prior to the meeting).
Account Balances as of October 1st, 2017:
Account Balances as of November 1st, 2017:
Motion from Sandra to receive the September-October 2017 financial report. Carried.
- Another scholarship was requested from Victoria IMS and was approved by Brock and Bruce. The balance remaining in the 2017 scholarship fund after two earlier scholarships were granted was $157.50. Brock sent an email to council members requesting that we add to the fund increasing it to the maximum value of a single scholarship (that is $250.00), in order to support the applicant to attend a retreat. Brock made motion to implement the increase. Council members were in agreement and the motion was carried. The scholarship has now been granted and the funds remitted to the sponsor organization.
- June put forward a suggestion to make suitable donations to three organizations with some of the Victoria IMS year-end surplus funds. The organizations are: Wat Metta, Forest Sangha and Dharma Seed. All of these organizations provide us with the ongoing use of dhamma educational materials. Motion from June to put the donations into effect. Carried.
- 2018 Budget: June prepared a draft budget for 2018 which was distributed to Council prior to the meeting. Upon review, Council felt that the proposed Budget looked good. June will send it to our bookkeeper Wei for her review and modifications as needed. We will further review and approve the Budget at our next meeting.
- Bylaws and Constitution:
- Council met on October 12, 2017 to go through the current Victoria IMS Constitution and Bylaws in conjunction with the new Society Act. Modifications were discussed and documented during the meeting. Sandra incorporated the results of this meeting into a working version which has been circulated to Council. Council will revisit and refine this working version at our March meeting and a final version will be created for review and approval at the 2018 Annual General Meeting.
- Sunday Night Community Sit:
- Victoria IMS hosted a beautiful evening with Will Pegg’s community and the CBC as they documented Will’s journey through his illness. Those in attendance were deeply moved by Will’s honesty and courage in speaking about his illness and too his humour, open heart and depth of compassion. Thank you Will for allowing us to be a part of your journey.
- In 2018 there will be a change in the Sunday Night Community Sit program which is scheduled to have more teacher-led evenings than in previous years and will be more focused on specific dharma topics – e.g. Brock Brown will be presenting on the Eight Fold Noble Path over several Sundays and likewise, Margo McLoughlin will be presenting on the Brahma Viharas. Community member-led Sunday evenings will continue to be offered.
- Website: discussions about ‘revamping’ the Victoria IMS website have been in progress for some time but no action has been taken as yet. We will revisit this subject again, early in 2018, after the revision of the bylaws is complete.
- 2017 Programs:
- Retreats completed:
- January 21/22 – Heather Martin
- February 19 – Margo McLoughlin
- March 18/19 – Howard Cohn
- April 30 – Tuere Sala
- May 27/28 – Ayya Medhanandi
- Aug 19/20 – Ajaan Geoff
- Sep 16/17 – Adrianne Ross
- Oct 14/15 – Steve Armstrong
- Nov 11 – Brock Brown
- Retreats completed:
- 2018 Programs:
All programs will be held at Goward House with the exception of the retreat with Ajahn Viradhammo which will be held at the University of Victoria.
- January 20/21 – Heather – confirmed.
- February 23 – Margo McLoughlin – evening public talk – confirmed.
- February 24/25 – Margo McLoughlin – confirmed.
- March 31/April 1 – Pascal Auclair – confirmed.
- May 25 – Susie Harrington – evening public talk – confirmed.
- May 26/27 – Susie Harrington – confirmed.
- June 23/24 – Ajahn Viradhammo – TBD.
- September 15/16 – Brock Brown – confirmed.
- October 13/14 – Christina Feldman – confirmed.
- Nov 10/11 – Carol Wilson – confirmed.
The 2018 retreat teams are in place.
- 2019 Programs:
Planning for the 2019 retreat schedule is in progress.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m.
Next Council Meeting
January 18, 2018 7:00-9:30p.m.
June and Brock’s home