2014/12/11 VIMS Council Minutes

VIMS Council Meeting Minutes (approved)

Thursday, December 11th, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.

Brian’s home



Brock, June, Bruce, Lawrie, Sandra Joy (guest), Brian

Absent with Regrets:

No one

Agenda Items:

  1. Review and Approve AgendaMotion from June to approve.
  2. Approve Minutes of Previous Meetings
    • Motion from Brock to approve minutes from October 9th.
    • Motion from Brock to approve minutes from November 13th.
  3. Business Arising from the Minutes and Updates
    • Dec 7th beginner drop-in.
      2 people attended.
      Feedback was good.
    • Signing officers are now: Lawrie, Brock, June, Bruce
  4. Financial Update
    • Motion from June to authorize spending up to $350 (including taxes) on bookkeeping services from David Levinson Accounting.
    • Discussion of cheques needed for January and February.
      Two cheques were given to Bruce for Heather.
    • 2015 Budget circulated by June.
      Retreats 1,000.00
      Sunday Sit 600.00
      Beginner Drop In -600.00
      Study Group -200.00
      Operating Expenses -1,600.00
      Special Events -400.00
      TOTAL NET BUDGET -1,200.00
      Estimated Amount in General Fund as of Jan 1, 2015 $8000, which includes $1150 prepayments in retreat expenses.
      Estimated Amount in Discretionary Fund as of Jan 1, 2015: $500 for Scholarships.

      Sandra will check with Goward house to find out if their capacity limit applies to the entire building or to the basement only.
      The website is prepaid for two years.
      Brian will look into donations to creators of any free software we use on our website.
      Allocated: $200 for Dharma Seed, $400 for Wat Metta book fund, $50 for software.

    • Motion from Brock to accept the budget as presented.
    • Discussion about changing insurance companies. Quote received from SeaFirst Insurance for a policy with Lloyds for $750. This is less than what we have paid in the past and we get a little more coverage.
    • Motion from June to switch to using Sea First and accept their event insurance quote.
    • Discussion about use of year-end surplus.
    • Motion from June to allocate $500 to the discretionary fund for scholarships.
    • VIMS will continue the beginner drop-in program in 2015.
  5. Communications
    • Margo is now taking care of the newsletter.
    • Motion from Bruce that we change the retreat confirmation letter to remove all mention of electornic devices and to reword the reminder letter.
  6. Study GroupBruce will confirm Study Group dates with Heather and will collect the dana but keep it separate from the Sunday night dana.
  7. Sunday NightLawrie circulated a list of monthly coordinators.
  8. 2015 Programs
    • Sandra and June circulated a retreat operations plan.
    • Motion from Brock to bring in Ajahn Jayassaro in the summer if he is in the area.
    • Motion from June to reimburse retreat managers up to $25/day/teacher for lunch if needed.
    • Heather Martin Retreat Jan 24/25, 2015.
      Registration Opens Friday, Jan 2, 2014.
      Coordinator: Bruce MacRae
      Constant Contact: Lawrie
      Registrar: Brian
      Managers: Eric (confirmed), Helen (confirmed)
      Sound: Bruce
  9. 2016 Retreat planning – Goward House dates confirmed
    • Jan 16/17 — Sandra will invite Heather.
    • March 25/26 Pascal Auclair – confirmed
    • May 21/22
    • Sept 17/18 Steve Armstrong – confirmed
    • Oct 15/16 Christina Feldman – confirmed
  10. Meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.


Next Meeting

February 19th, 2014
7:00-9:30 p.m.
Sandra’s home