2018/05/17 VIMS council meeting minutes

VIMS Council Meeting Minutes (approved)

Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.

Brock and June’s home


June, Sandra, Brian, Rhonda, Bruce

(Bruce MacRae was Chairperson for this meeting as Brock was away)

Absent with Regrets:


Agenda Items:

  1. Review and Approve Council Meeting Agenda:

Motion from June to approve the agenda. Carried.

  1. Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting (March 15th, 2018):

There were no changes to the distributed draft minutes from the March council meeting.  Motion from Sandra to approve the minutes.  Carried.

  1. Business arising from the Minutes and Updates:
  • Pascal Auclair retreat update (March 31/April 1): There were 109 participants on Saturday (31st) and 104 participants on Sunday (1st). Pascal’s teachings were very well received by those who attended. Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinator: Brock Brown; Co-managers: Josephine Tobin and Sheena Wilson; Registrar: Pascal Courty; Sound: Juli MacDonnell; Hospitality: Brock and June.


  • To further address the ongoing issue of retreat participants who may wear scented products, changes have been made to the information sent ahead of time to retreat registrants.


  • Information on our website about what to expect at retreats has been enhanced and the website updated.


  • 2018 Victoria IMS Annual General Meeting (AGM):


  • The date for the AGM needs to change as two of the founding members cannot make that date. Council discussed some alternate dates and two possible dates were proposed. Brock will contact the founding members to suggest these dates and see if we can settle on one that would suit the majority.
  • Motion from June to request John Hilditch to review the 2017 financials. Carried.
  • Council reviewed and agreed on the list of documents to be distributed to attendees before the AGM which included: AGM Agenda; 2017 AGM Minutes; written reports from Council for the 2017 year; year-end financial report from our bookkeeper; and the new and current Victoria IMS Constitution and Bylaws.
  • Brock asked if current council members were able to continue on Council for the next year (2017-2018). All were available.


  • Lost and Found Policy: Council approved the changes to this policy that were agreed to via email. Motion from June to accept the new policy. Carried.


  • Dana policy; The Victoria IMS dana policy has been revised. Please reference item 7 below.
  1. Finances:
  • June reported on the March-April financials prepared by Wei (reports were distributed to council members prior to the meeting).

Account Balances as of April 1st, 2018:

Chequing:         $1,709.33

Savings:           $6,785.62

TOTAL:           $8,494.95

Account Balances as of May 1st, 2018:

Chequing:         $1,712.62

Savings:           $6,787.02

TOTAL:           $8,499.63

Motion from Sandra to receive the March-April 2018 Financial Report. Carried.

  1.  Sunday Night Community Sit:
  • A number of people who attend Sunday nights leave after the meditation period. This impacts everyone but particularly guest teachers who have been invited specifically for the evening. Council discussed several options for addressing this.


  • The date for Ayya Nimmala’s visit has been changed to June 10th.


  • A request has been made for us to show the video Dharma Voices for Animals and we are considering this for a Sunday evening in August.
  1. Communications:  
    • Buddhist Festival – Vancouver June 10th, 2018: Council decided that we would not submit any information to the festival this year but Bruce will put an item about the festival in the May newsletter together with a link to the festival website.
    • We are still looking for volunteers to contribute to the production of the newsletter.
  1. Dana Policy:
  • Council has discussed the Victoria IMS dana policy and further clarified what can and cannot be accepted as gifts. June has revised the policy accordingly and it has been distributed to Council. It is currently under review and will be put forward for approval at our next meeting.
  • Recently a couple of offerings were kindly made by members of the broader sangha which did not fall within the guidelines of the policy. Victoria IMS has politely declined.


  1. 2018 Programs:
  • Upcoming retreats/events:
    • May 26/27 – Susie Harrington.
    • June 23/24 – Ajahn Viradhammo.
    • September 15 – Brock Brown.
    • October 13/14 – Christina Feldman.
    • Nov 10/11 – Carol Wilson.
  • Completed retreats/events:
    • January 20/21 – Heather Martin.
    • February 23 – Margo McLoughlin – evening public talk.
    • February 24/25 – Margo McLoughlin.
    • March 31/April 1 – Pascal Auclair.
  1.  2019 Programs:

The teachers and dates listed below are confirmed.  Goward House has been reserved for all the retreats with the exception of the August 17/18 retreat which will be held at the University of Victoria.

  • January 19/20 – Heather Martin.
  • February 23/24 – Margo McLoughlin.
  • April 27/28 – Tuere Sala.
  • May 25/26 – Ayya Medhanandi.
  • August 17/18 – Ajaan Geoff.
  • September 14 – Brock Brown.
  • October 12/13 – Steve Armstrong.
  • November 19/20 – Howard Cohn.

Due to Steve Armstrong’s health, the October retreat may need to be reassigned. Brock will monitor the situation and keep Council informed.

  1. Meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m.

Next Council Meeting

August 16, 2018 7:00-9:00p.m.

Sandra’s home