VIMS Council Meeting Minutes (approved)
Thursday, March 19th, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.
(Facilitated by Brock Brown)
Brock Brown, Rhonda Duncan, Bruce MacRae, Brian Chapel, June Fukushima, Sandra Joy
Absent with Regrets:
- Review and Approve Council Meeting Agenda:
Motion from Brock to approve the agenda. Carried.
- Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting (January 23rd, 2020):
There were no changes to the draft minutes from the January council meeting. Motion from Brock to approve the minutes. Carried.
- Business arising from the Minutes and Updates:
- Margo McLoughlin retreat update (February 29/March 1, 2020): There were 62 participants on Saturday (29th) and 32 participants on Sunday (1st). The retreat was well received and appreciation was expressed by a number of the participants. Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinator: Joyce Elliott; Co-managers: Louise Takeda and Metta VanderVliet; Registrar: Joanna Stonechapel; Sound: Metta VanderVliet.
- Account Balances since the January 23rd, 2020 council meeting:
Account Balances as of February 1st, 2020:
Account Balances as of March 1st, 2020:
- Charitable donations from Victoria IMS to Wat Metta, Birken Forest Monastery and Dharmaseed have been made.
- A decision was made by the Council, via email discussion, to offer $250.00 in scholarships to the People of Colour (POC) group which is organizing a one day retreat on April 18th, 2020 with Anushka Fernandopulle.
- Due to the current COVID-19 situation, the Council agreed to cancel the retreat with Pascal Auclair scheduled for April 11/12. As a result of this decision, it was also agreed that we would reimburse Pascal for the portion of his flight to BC for which we were responsible – that is $213.25.
- Goward House has been supportive with regard to the cancellation of Pascal’s retreat and has agreed to fully reimburse Victoria IMS for the rental already paid.
- The flights for the monks from Wat Metta (they will visit in May) were cancelled and had to be rebooked. Brock took care of these logistics and was reimbursed in February.
- Sunday Night Community Sit:
- As concern about the spread of the COVID-19 virus escalated nationally, and following the cancellation of Pascal Auclair’s retreat in April, Council discussed, via email, the possibility of suspending the Sunday Night Sit. We agreed that it would be wise to cancel the sittings until such time as we were able to start again.
- June will contact Helga Beer (from whom we rent the yoga studio for the Sunday Night Sit) to request a pause in our rent payment for the month of April.
- A special announcement went out to our mailing list on March 16th, 2020 to notify everyone about the cancellation of Pascal Auclair’s April retreat. In addition, the website was updated to show this cancellation.
- A special announcement regarding the cancellation of the Sunday Night Sit will go out to our mailing list on Friday 20th March, 2020. The website has been updated to reflect this change. Included in this notice will be details of Pascal’s online retreat, to be held on March 27th and 28th, 2020. This retreat is being sponsored by BCIMS.
- The monthly newsletter, scheduled for the end of March will contain information about a number of online resources that might be helpful to our Sangha during this time of social distancing. It will also contain a supportive and encouraging message from Ajahn Jayasaro, a senior monk in the Ajahn Chah lineage
- 2020 Programs:
All retreats will take place at Goward House unless otherwise indicated.
- Upcoming retreats/events:
- May 23/24 – Ajaan Geoff.
- July 18 – Howie Cohn (at Sidney Shoal Centre)
- September 19 – Brock Brown.
- October 17/18 – Christina Feldman.
- November 14/15 – Carol Wilson.
- Completed retreats/events:
- January 18/19 – Heather Martin.
- February 29 / March 1 – Margo McLoughlin.
- April 11/12 – Pascal Auclair – CANCELLED
- 2021 Programs:
The teachers and dates listed below are confirmed for the Victoria IMS 2021 retreat schedule. All retreats will take place at Goward House unless otherwise indicated .
- January 23/24 – Heather Martin.
- February 27/28 – Margo McLoughlin.
- April 17/18 – Tuere Sala.
- May 22/23 – Adrianne Ross.
- August 13/14 – Ajaan Geoff. (at Sidney Shoal Centre)
- September 18 – Brock Brown.
- October 16/17 – Howie Cohn.
- November 13/14 – Ajahn Candasiri.
- It was suggested that Victoria IMS consider giving a donation to Wat Buddha Dhamma Monastery in Australia where Ajahn Tiradhammo resides. This monastery suffered extensive damage in the recent fires. Ajahn Tiradhammo has been a frequent visitor to Victoria and his presence, humour and wisdom have brought benefit to our sangha. Motion from Rhonda to send this donation. Carried.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
Next Council Meeting
April 16th, 2020 – 7:00-9:00p.m.