VIMS Council Meeting Minutes (approved)
Thursday, January 23rd, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.
Brian and Joanna’s home
Brock Brown, Rhonda Duncan, Bruce MacRae, Brian Chapel
Absent with Regrets:
Sandra Joy, June Fukushima
- Review and Approve Council Meeting Agenda:
Motion from Brock to approve the agenda. Carried.
- Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting (November 21th, 2019):
There were no changes to the draft minutes from the November council meeting. Motion from Bruce to approve the minutes. Carried.
- Business arising from the Minutes and Updates:
- Brian agreed to take minutes in Sandra’s absence.
- Update from Heather Martin retreat Jan 18/19
- Attendance: 85 on Saturday 72 on Sunday
- Coordinator: Bruce MacRae
- Registrar: Brian Chapel
- Managers: Karyn Woodland and Sheena Wilson
- Sound: Bruce MacRae, Louise Owen
- Brock presented the December 2019 Financial Report prepared by Wei Wu (reports were distributed to council members prior to the meeting).
- The key points of the financial report were discussed. Brock motioned to receive the December report. Carried.
- Account Balances since the November 21st, 2019 council meeting:
Account Balances as of December 1st, 2019:
Account Balances as of January 1st, 2019:
- Total assets at end of 2019 including pre-payments: $11,727.92
- 2020 Budget from June circulated.
- Brock motioned to receive the 2020 budget. Carried.
- Motion from Bruce to set aside $1000 for scholarships (max. $250 each) in 2020. Carried.
- Motion from Brock to donate 200 USD to Wat Metta, 200 USD to Dharma Seed, 250 CAD to Birken Forest Monastery. Carried.
- Brief discussion of one-time donation to Wat Buddha Dhamma for rebuilding after Australian fire because of how much Ajahn Tiradhammo has done for VIMS. Set aside for next time when all of council present.
- Sunday Night Community Sit:
- Running along smoothly.
- Kevin continuing in his role.
- Rhonda to be more involved in the future.
- Next newsletter will include link a to a BCIMS retreat in Nanaimo (Adrianne Ross and others) that has a few openings.
- Still looking for someone to take over from Bruce.
- 2020 Programs:
The teachers and dates listed below are confirmed for the Victoria IMS 2020 retreat schedule. All retreats will take place at Goward House.
- January 18/19 – Heather Martin.
- February 29 / March 1 – Margo McLoughlin.
- April 11/12 – Pascal Auclair.
- May 23/24 – Ajaan Geoff.
- September 19 – Brock Brown.
- October 17/18 – Christina Feldman.
- November 14/15 – Carol Wilson.
Still need someone to set up sound equipment for Margo’s retreat.
- 2021 Programs:
- Heather Martin – January 23/24 – booked
- Tuere Sala – April 17/18 – booked
- Ajaan Geoff – August 13/14 – date to be investigated
- Ajahn Candasiri – November 13/14 – booked
- Discussion of teachers and dates for four other retreats.
- Need new volunteer organizer to replace Isy. Possibility of Brock doing it and absorbing coordinator role. Bottleneck is finding managers..
- Meeting adjourned at 8:25 p.m.
Next Council Meeting
March 19th, 2020 – 7:00-9:00p.m.
Brock and June’s home.