2019/04/18 VIMS council meeting minutes

VIMS Council Meeting Minutes (approved)

Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.

June and Brock’s home


June, Sandra, Brock, Rhonda, Bruce, Brian

Absent with Regrets:


Agenda Items:

  1. Review and Approve Council Meeting Agenda:

Motion from Bruce to approve the agenda. Carried.

  1. Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting (March 21st, 2019):

There were no changes to the draft minutes from the March council meeting.  Motion from Rhonda to approve the minutes. Carried.

  1. Business arising from the Minutes and Updates:
  • Helga Beer has agreed to the one and a half hour rental of the yoga studio (in place of the current two hour rental) on Sunday evenings starting in July.


  • Tuere Sala retreat – the scheduled registrar for this retreat and one of the scheduled co-managers had to cancel. Brock, who is the coordinator of the retreat, was able to find a new registrar (Sheila Whincup) and plans to step into the role of co-manager for the retreat.
  1. Finances:
  • June presented the March 2019 Financial Report prepared by Wei (reports were distributed to council members prior to the meeting).


  • Account Balances since the March 21st, 2019 council meeting:

Account Balances as of April 1st, 2019:

Chequing:         $3,609.21

Savings:           $6,802.59

TOTAL:           $10,411.80

June motioned to accept the Financial Report. Carried.

  • Another scholarship was awarded bringing the total for 2019 to three.
  1. Sunday Night Community Sit:
  • Sunday night facilitators are now scheduled and confirmed through to the end of 2019.
  • Council agreed to discontinue the teacher-led sessions at the start of each month.
  • Sandra will write text for the website and the newsletter detailing the changes for the Sunday night sit for the balance of 2019. She will forward this to Bruce for inclusion in the June newsletter.
  1. Communications:  
  • Newsletter: Thanks to Bruce for his ongoing development and production of the monthly newsletter. Juli MacDonnell has agreed to take over the production of the newsletter from Bruce. Bruce will contact Juli and train her on the May newsletter.  June will send the policy to us (for review of guidelines) that relates to newsletter content and production.
  • Posting of the minutes on the website: Sandra will continue sending the approved minutes to Bruce for posting.
  • Posting of the Sunday Night facilitation schedule on the website: Bruce will continue to update the website with the monthly facilitators for the Sunday night sit from information sent to him by Kevin.
  • Check-in with David Axon re his monitoring of the Victoria IMS email account: David has been taking care of the Victoria IMS email for some time now. Sandra will contact David to determine whether this continues to work for him.
  • Buddhist Festival Poster: The 2019 BC Buddhist Festival to be held in Vancouver on June 8th has issued a poster for the event. We will include mention of the festival and a link to the poster in our April and May newsletters.
  • Victoria Art Gallery Initiative with local Buddhists: Brock will forward to council members the email he received from the Art Gallery that explains this initiative. Council can then review and comment on it. If agreed at our next council meeting, we could consider putting something about this into the next newsletter.
  1. 2019 AGM:
  • The date of June 13th has now been agreed upon for the 2019 AGM. Brian and Joanna will host the AGM this year at their home.
  • Individual reports for the 2018 year have been received in draft and are currently under review:
    • Report from the Chair – Brock
    • Finance – June
    • Retreat Statistics – and Volunteers – Rhonda
    • Communications – Bruce
    • Sunday Night Sit – Sandra
    • Special Events – Brock
  • Sandra will consolidate the reports into a single document before distributing them to the invitees for the AGM.
  • Council should give some thought to questions we would like to ask the members at the AGM and on which we would like to get feedback.
  1. 2019 Programs:

All retreats will be held at Goward House with the exception of Ajahn Pasanno and Ajahn Geoff’s retreats which will be held at UVic.

  • Upcoming retreats/events:
    • April 27/28 – Tuere Sala.
    • May 25/26 – Adrianne Ross.
    • June 29/30 – Ajahn Pasanno.
    • August 17/18 – Ajaan Geoff.
    • September 14 – Brock Brown.
    • October 12/13 – Vance Pryor.
    • November 9/10 – Howard Cohn.
  • Completed retreats/events:
    • January 19/20 – Heather Martin.
    • February 23/24 – Margo McLoughlin.
  1. 2020 Programs:

The teachers and dates listed below are confirmed for the Victoria IMS 2020 retreat schedule.  All retreats will take place at Goward House unless otherwise indicated. Planning and discussions are still underway with several other teachers and the schedule will be updated as dates and teachers are confirmed.

  • January 18/19 – Heather Martin
  • February 22/23 – Margo McLoughlin
  • April 11/12 – Pascal Auclair
  • September 19 – Brock Brown
  • October 17/18 – Christina Feldman
  • November 14/15 – Carol Wilson


  1. Meeting adjourned at 8:35 p.m.


Next Council Meeting

July11th, 2019 7:00-9:00p.m.

Sandra’s home.