2019/03/21 VIMS council meeting minutes

VIMS Council Meeting Minutes (approved)

Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.

Sandra’s home


June, Sandra, Brock, Rhonda, Bruce

Absent with Regrets:


Agenda Items:

  1. Review and Approve Council Meeting Agenda:

Motion from Brock to approve the agenda. Carried.

  1. Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting (January 17th, 2019):

There were no changes to the draft minutes from the January council meeting.  Motion from June to approve the minutes. Carried.

  1. Business arising from the Minutes and Updates:
  • Heather Martin retreat update (Jan 19/20): There were 80 participants on Saturday (19th) and 72 participants on Sunday (20th). Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinator: Bruce MacRae; Co-managers: Lise Bernard and Metta Van Der Vliet; Registrar: Brian Chapel; Sound: Juli MacDonnell.


  • Margo McLoughlin retreat update (Feb 23/24): There were 41 participants on Saturday (23rd) and 28 participants on Sunday (24th). Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinator: Sandra Joy; Co-managers: Rhonda Duncan and Sheila Whincup; Registrar: David Axon; Sound: Bruce MacRae.


  • The use of the tea station during retreats was discussed. This was originally set up for hot water only with some cups, tea bags and cutlery being provided for emergency use only. In recent retreats it is being used quite extensively. In the reminder notice sent out to those registered for retreats, participants are asked to bring their own food, tea and cups. Sandra will review the reminder notice and strengthen the wording.


  1. Finances:
  • June presented the January-February 2019 Financial Report prepared by Wei (reports were distributed to council members prior to the meeting).


  • Account Balances since the January 17th, 2019 council meeting:

Account Balances as of February 1st, 2019:

Chequing:         $5,843.38

Savings:           $6,799.85

TOTAL:           $12,643.23

Account Balances as of March 1st, 2019:

Chequing:         $5,648.92

Savings:           $6,801.15

TOTAL:           $12,450.07


June motioned to accept the Financial Report. Carried.

  • The annual insurance policy was renewed for 2019/2020.


  • It has been suggested that the value of our ‘suggested’ dana for a retreat be increased. Council revisited the dana policy and has agreed to leave the current value in place.
  1. Sunday Night Community Sit:
  • The new format for Sunday nights was discussed. Things seem to be running smoothly.


  • Council discussed the continuation of the program beyond the current schedule which runs to the end of June, 2019 and decided, with the ongoing scheduling and management involvement of Kevin, Rhonda and Sandra, to continue to the end of 2019.


  • A decision was made to reduce the rental of the yoga studio from 2 hours to 1.5 hours for each Sunday starting in July 2019 and to stop having invited guests on a regular monthly basis. Brock proposed this motion. Carried.


Action item: June will contact Helga Beer to let her know of our plans to change the rental agreement as of July 2019.


  1. Communications:  
  • Thanks to Bruce for his ongoing development and production of the monthly newsletter.
  • We have now reached over 1,000 people signed up to receive the newsletter in Constant Contact.
  1. 2019 AGM:
  • A provisional date of June 13th has been suggested for the 2019 AGM. Brock will contact all founding members to see if this will work for them.
  • Individual reports for the 2018 year are due for review, in draft, at the April 18th council meeting:
    • Report from the Chair – Brock
    • Finance – June
    • Retreat Statistics – and Volunteers – Rhonda
    • Communications – Bruce and June (Constant Contact)
    • Sunday Night Sit – Sandra
    • Special Events – Brock
  1. Use of the washrooms at Goward House:
  • A proposal was received from retreat participants to increase access to the washrooms at Goward House during retreats by designating one washroom as all gender. Council has agreed to a trial during the upcoming retreat in April with Tuere Sala.
  1. 2019 Programs:

All retreats will be held at Goward House with the exception of Ajahn Pasanno and Ajahn Geoff’s retreats which will be held at UVic.

  • Upcoming retreats/events:
    • April 27/28 – Tuere Sala.
    • May 25/26 – Adrianne Ross.
    • June 29/30 – Ajahn Pasanno.
    • August 17/18 – Ajaan Geoff.
    • September 14 – Brock Brown.
    • October 12/13 – Vance Pryor.
    • November 9/10 – Howard Cohn.
  • Completed retreats/events:
    • January 19/20 – Heather Martin.
    • February 23/24 – Margo McLoughlin.
  1. 2020 Programs:

The teachers and dates listed below are confirmed for the Victoria IMS 2020 retreat schedule.  Planning and discussions are still underway with several other teachers and the schedule will be updated as dates and teachers are confirmed.

  • January 18/19 – Heather Martin (need to confirm rental with Goward House)
  • February 22/23 – Margo McLoughlin (need to confirm rental with Goward House)
  • April 11/12 – Pascal Auclair
  • September 19 – Brock Brown (need to confirm rental with Goward House)
  • October 17/18 – Christina Feldman
  • November 14/15 – Carol Wilson


  1. Meeting adjourned at 8:50 p.m.


Next Council Meeting

April 18th, 2019 7:00-9:00p.m.

June and Brock’s home.