VIMS Council Meeting Minutes (approved)
Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
Brock and June’s home
Brock, Brian, Bruce, Rhonda, June
Absent with regrets:
- Review and Approve Agenda
Motion from Brian to approve the agenda. Carried.
- Establish Secretary for meeting (Sandra away)
June agreed to be the Secretary for this meeting.
- Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting (August 23, 2018).
There were no changes to the distributed draft minutes from the August council meeting. Motion from Bruce to approve the Minutes. Carried.
- Business arising from the Minutes and Updates:
- Ajaan Geoff talk was held on Friday September 12th at 7 pm at Goward House. The talk was co-sponsored by Victoria IMS and Aranya Refuge. Approximately 40 people attended and there was a lively question period after the talk.
- Brock’s one day retreat on September 15th, 2018. There were 38 participants – many were first time to a Victoria IMS retreat. Thanks to the volunteers who supported the retreat: Rhonda Duncan (co-ordinator), Glenda Christie and June Fukushima (co-managers), Juli MacDonnell (sound), Brian Chapel (registrar).
- Registration is strong for Christina Feldman’s retreat scheduled for October 13/14, 2018. On the Friday prior to the retreat, at 6pm, June and Brock will host a pot-luck meal for Christina with Council and partners, and the retreat team.
The financial report from Wei (Victoria IMS bookkeeper) for Jan – Aug 2018 was sent to Council by June prior to the meeting.
Account Balances as of Sept 1st, 2018:
Chequing: $ 3000.14
Savings: $ 6792.73
TOTAL: $ 9792.87
June moved to receive the financial report. Carried.
- Sunday Night Community Sit:
- Plans for 2019 – update since last discussion: Kevin Keliher has agreed to coordinate the facilitation schedule for 2019. There is renewed energy with more new people coming to the sit.
- June suggested that we hold off on notifying Helga about changing the rental agreement as of January 2019. There was a general discussion about how the second hour might be used and implications of not renting for two hours each Sunday. Council thought having a two-hour rental gives the program flexibility and that the cost of the second hour is not a high expense.
Brock motioned that we not make changes to the rental agreement at this time and that we would re-visit at the end of the year. Carried.
- Council reviewed the FAQ document that David Axon produced in response to the questions he gets asked as the responder to the Victoria IMS gmail account. Some edits were made. The final draft to be circulated to Council by June.
- David requested that it be easier for people to sign up for retreats from the website. Bruce will review the link on the website.
- 2019 Programs:
- October 12/13 – Steve Armstrong. Lawrie is to talk to Kamala or Steve’s assistant at the end of September about how we might proceed if Steve is unable to lead the retreat.
- June and Brock met with Isy House to discuss potential volunteers for 2019 retreats. Isy is happy to continue finding volunteers for retreats.
Next Council Meeting:
15th November, 2018 7:00 – 9:00pm.