VIMS Council Meeting Minutes (approved)
Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
Brock, June, Sandra, Brian, Rhonda, Bruce
Absent with Regrets:
- Review and Approve Council Meeting Agenda:
Two items were added to the agenda that Brock had earlier distributed to Council via email. These were 1) the October 1st Coast Capital balances (in the Finances section – point 4); and 2) a request from June to confirm that she attended a retreat in 2018 (in the 2018 Programs section – point 7).
Motion from Sandra to approve the agenda. Carried.
- Approve Minutes of Previous Meeting (September 20th, 2018):
There were no changes to the draft minutes from the September council meeting. Motion from June to approve the minutes. Carried.
- Business arising from the Minutes and Updates:
- The FAQ document that has been prepared for the website is now finalized and will be sent to Bruce for posting on the website.
- The BC Societies organization has confirmed that Victoria IMS has successfully completed the transition to comply with the new Societies Act. Thanks to June who followed up with them sometime after the submission of our modified regulations in order to determine our status.
- Christina Feldman retreat update (Oct 13/14): There were 99 participants on Saturday (13th) and 88 participants on Sunday (14th). Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinator: Joyce Elliott; Co-managers: Kathy Jago and David Axon; Registrar: Joan Glover; Sound: Bruce MacRae; Hospitality: Brock Brown. Transport: Joyce Elliott for collecting Christina from Parksville. For Christina’s return journey to Parksville, Victoria IMS covered the costs of a cab.
- Brock hosted a pot luck gathering to greet Christina on the Friday night before the retreat. Thank you Brock.
- Margo McLoughlin hosted Brock and Christina for dinner on the Saturday night of the retreat weekend. Thank you Margo
- Carol Wilson retreat update (November 10/11): There were 94 participants on Saturday (10th) and 77 participants on Sunday (11th). Thanks to all those who supported this retreat: Coordinator: Brock Brown; Co-managers: Sandra Joy and Margo McLoughlin; Registrar: Joanna Stonechapel; Sound: Juli MacDonnell; Hospitality and Transport: Lawrie Thicke.
- Brock hosted a pot luck meal on Friday evening to welcome Carol. Thank you Brock.
- June reported on the September-October financials prepared by Wei (reports were distributed to council members prior to the meeting).
Account Balances as of October 1st, 2018:
Account Balances as of November 1st, 2018:
Motion from June to receive the September-October 2018 Financial Report. Carried.
- Council discussed the 2018 year-end surplus and the Budget for 2019.
- Council discussed the possibility of setting aside some of the projected surplus from the 2018 budget to increase the Scholarship Fund in 2019. Sandra motioned in favour of the increase. Carried.
- Victoria IMS will give donations at the end of 2018 to the Wat Metta book fund (US$200), Dharma Seed (US$200) and Birken Forest Monastery (CA$250) who have provided us with dharma study materials (books, audio and video resources) throughout the year. Bruce motioned in favour of the donations.
- Sunday Night Community Sit:
- Victoria IMS have decided to move forward with the discussed changes to the format of the Sunday Night Community Sit in 2019. Brock and Sandra will compose a description of the new format which will appear in the December newsletter and on the website at the beginning of January.
- All is well with both the website and the production of the newsletter. Thanks to Bruce for his continued commitment to producing the monthly newsletter.
- We continue to seek volunteers to contribute to the production of the newsletter.
- 2018 Programs:
- Completed retreats/events:
- January 20/21 – Heather Martin.
- February 23 – Margo McLoughlin – evening public talk.
- February 24/25 – Margo McLoughlin.
- March 31/April 1 – Pascal Auclair.
- May 26/27 – Susie Harrington.
- May 27 – Susie Harrington – facilitation of Sunday Night sit.
- June 23/24 – Ajahn Viradhammo.
- September 15 – Brock Brown.
- October 13/14 – Christina Feldman.
- Nov 10/11 – Carol Wilson
- June has requested Victoria IMS to provide confirmation that she attended a retreat in 2018 (for professional reference purposes). Rhonda Duncan who was the coordinator/manager of Brock’s retreat in September will provide the letter of reference for June.
- 2019 Programs:
Goward House has been reserved for all the retreats with the exception of the August 17/18 retreat which will be held at the University of Victoria.
- January 19/20 – Heather Martin.
- February 23/24 – Margo McLoughlin.
- April 27/28 – Tuere Sala.
- May 25/26 – Adrianne Ross.
- August 17/18 – Ajaan Geoff.
- September 14 – Brock Brown.
- October 12/13 – Vance Pryor.
- November 9/10 – Howard Cohn.
2019 Retreat Teams: The teams of volunteers to support the 2019 retreats are in place. There are a few gaps which will be addressed by the retreat operations managers early in 2019. Thanks to Isy House for her work in putting together the 2019 Retreat Volunteer Roster.
- 2020 Programs:
Planning is in progress for the Victoria IMS 2020 retreat roster. A number of teachers have been contacted and we are awaiting confirmation. The teachers being considered include some who have conducted retreats for Victoria IMS in the past as well as some who will be new to our community.
- Dana policy:
The draft of the revised Victoria IMS Dana Policy is to be reviewed and approved at our January 2019 meeting. June will recirculate the draft to Council prior to that meeting.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:40 p.m.
Next Council Meeting
January 17th, 2019 7:00-9:00p.m.