The following are guidelines for being in the company of ordained monastics – both monks and nuns:
- It is respectful to place your hands in anjali (prayer pose) when greeting or speaking to a monastic.
- It is respectful to fold your legs and not point the soles of your feet at a monastic, or towards the altar.
- It is respectful to wear clothing that is not too tight or revealing.
- If a monastic is sitting, please do not stand over them; sit below or at the same level.
- If you are walking beside a monastic, let them pass by you or offer for them to go ahead of you.