VIMS Council Meeting Minutes (approved)
Thursday, March 20th, 2014 at 7:00 pm
Brock and June’s home
Grant, Theresa, Brock, Brian, June, Bruce, Lawrie
Absent with Regrets:
- Review and Approve Agenda Motion from Grant to approve with amendments.?Carried.
- Approve Minutes of February 20th, 2014 Motion from Bruce to approve with amendment:?New procedure will be to add “approved” words to the minutes and then send them to all. That will trigger posting on web. Carried.
- Business Arising from the Minutes and Updates Brock’s retreat: 54 registered, 38 attended (70%). ?Thank you to Derrick Van der Vliet for leading the February Study Group session on non-violent communication. ?March Beginner Drop In – about 6 participants. Sandra Joy attends as support for Margo. June goes to the studio when Brock leads. ?Coast Capital event insurance has been renewed. ?Heather has confirmed a Study Group session for June 2nd. ?
- Financial Update – Grant Account balances as of 2014-02-28: ?Chequing 4,400.13
- Savings 1,215.50
- ??Motion from June to vote in favour of Credit Union board’s proposals.?Carried.
- Communications – Bruce All is going well with the newsletter. Almost 500 people are on the distribution list. A high percentage of the files get opened each week. Council will ask Carol to put a request into the newsletter for people willing to provide a meal and/or flowers for the teacher of each retreat.
- 2014 Retreats For the Pascal Auclair retreat, Lawrie will provide rides for the teacher and will manage the sound system. June will pick up the VIMS and teacher dana. Eric will help set up for the retreat. ?The manager’s speech will be updated to include a request for people to take their garbage home with them and separate it there. ?Ajahn Sona is confirmed for the morning and afternoon of July 12th and the afternoon of July 13th, both at the Cadboro Bay United Church. ?Taan Geoff is confirmed for Saturday August 16th at the Cadboro Bay United Church and for Sunday August 17th at Goward House. ?Discussion about the content of the dana talks.
- Recovery and Buddhism event with Vimalasara Council approved supporting an event to be organized by the B12 (Buddhism and Recovery) group to host teacher Vimalasara to offer an afternoon of teachings on the afternoon of July 6th, 2014. VIMS will place the event in the VIMS newsletter and under Mindfulness Related Events. Council Endorsers: Bruce MacRae, Brock Brown. Joan Glover – lead organizer. Action: Brock to follow up with Joan and Vimalasara to get information for Bruce (website) and June (newsletter content).
- 2015 Retreats Five weekends are booked at Goward House: ? Jan 24 25
- Mar 14 15
- May 23 24
- Sep 26 27
- Nov 7 8
- Checking in with VIMS volunteers – idea from June There was not enough time to present this idea. June offered that since 3 of the council members would not be present at the April Council meeting that she would meet with them separately and bring forward this item for the April meeting.
- Adjournment 9:37 pm
April 17th, 2014?7:00-9:30?Lawrie’s home